There are several programs available to veterans with disabilities that require adaptations to their homes or vehicles.

The VA has three types of adapted housing grants available.  The Specially Adapted Housing grant (SAH) is generally used to create wheelchair-accessibility. The Special Housing Adaptations (SHA) grant is used to assist veterans with mobility throughout their homes due to blindness in both eyes, or the anatomical loss or loss of use of both hands or extremities below the elbow. A third type established by the new law, the Temporary Residence Adaptation (TRA) grant, is for those who are temporarily living in a home owned by a family member.

All three grant programs are to provide a barrier-free living environment for the most severely injured veterans providing a level of independent living. Certain veterans may be eligible for financial assistance in purchasing of an automobile or vehicle adaptive equipment (wheelchair lift etc.). Automobile grants are for veterans who have service-connected loss, or permanent loss of use of one or both hands or feet, or permanent vision impairment, or severe burn injuries that limit motion and preclude effective operation of an automobile. Adaptive equipment grants are available for veterans who meet the above disability requirements or who have service connected immobility of the joint of one or both knees or hips.

If you have questions concerning these or any other VA program give me a call or send an email. At your service.

Charles B. Elliott is the veterans service officer for Franklin County. He can be reached at 653-8096, or by cellphone at 653-7051, or by email to