Three departments battle Apalachicola blaze

Taunton fire

Kelly Rowland, left, from the St. George Island Volunteer Fire Department, levels water on the blaze. She was among the first on the since, since he had been having lunch in Apalachicola at the time.

Published: Saturday, July 26, 2014 at 06:17 PM.

A Saturday afternoon blaze on 25th Street in Apalachicola cost a family their home, but spared them injury.

Three of the family dogs may have perished in the fire, that was reported about 3:41 p.m. at the home of Charles and Tammy Taunton, 55 25th Street.

Firefighters from Apalachicola, Eastpoint and St. George Island were on the scene within minutes, and poured steady streams of water on the front and back to dampen the flames.

Smoke poured from the one-story home as the flames were doused. 

Charles Taunton told firefighters that the origin of the blaze may have been a faulty air conditioner. He said that after smelling smoke, he investigated to find the wall where the air conditioner was engulfed in flames.

The Taunton family lost everything in the blaze, and needs assistance getting back on their feet. From clothes to household items, anything you can donate would be greatly appreciated. 

If you cannot drop it off, Terress Martina has posted on Facebook that she will be happy to pick it up. Message her on FB, or call her cell at 653-5814. If you can't donate but want to give something, just give a second of your time to send up a prayer for them. 



1 2 3 4
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top