Fire consumes Carrabelle family’s home

The remains of the Morrow home at 206 NW 10th Street in Carrabelle. Photo available for purchase

The remains of the Morrow home at 206 NW 10th Street in Carrabelle.

Lois Swoboda
Published: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Last week, a Carrabelle family lost everything to a house fire.

On May 15, Bridgette Morrow was planning a wedding for her best friend, Crystal Bennett and Bennett’s fiancé Harvey Barrack. Morrow and the bride had gone to the Boardwalk Boutique to pick up their dresses. Morrow noticed smoke on leaving the store and when she and Bennett passed the IGA, she realized it was coming from her home at 206 NW 10 th Street .

By the time the women reached the fire, some neighbors had arrived on the scene. Someone kicked the front door open allowing three dogs and two cats to escape the conflagration.

A visitor from Islamorada attempted to extinguish the fire with the hose from Barrack’s washing machine but was unsuccessful. He later told Morrow that the fire seemed to have originated from the left front eye of the stove.

Morrow said she had used the stove shortly before leaving the house but had heated water on the right front eye.

A spokesperson for the state fire marshal’s office said the fire is still under investigation but at this time, the origin is thought to be accidental. She said the blaze appears to have started in the stove. Investigators said the house was a total loss and the estimated cost of the damage was $50,000. Final determination of the cost of the loss comes from the insurance company.

Morrow said she and her children had been experiencing problems with the electrical system in the house for some time. She said she had informed her landlord that he needed to have an electrician come to the house.

1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top