Fire claims historic Apalachicola home

Published: Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 07:39 AM.

Dykes awoke again around 4:15 a.m. and said the smell was stronger. When he tried to wake Enfinger, she was sluggish and appeared to be affected by the fumes, he said.

Dykes said he then went to the door of Laine’s apartment and kicked it in, where he found Laine sitting on the corner of the bed, which was in flames. Dykes attempted to douse the fire with water from a bathroom but rapidly realized it was futile.

“I threw the bucket on the flames and ran to get my family out,” he said.

Enfinger said the baby was unresponsive when she took him from his crib. She performed CPR and revived him. Marcum said she took both children to Apalachicola pediatrician Dr. Robert Head the next day and he pronounced them unharmed.

After evacuating his family, Dykes said he went back for Laine. He said his landlord seemed to have been affected by the smoke and didn’t want to leave his rooms.

“The fire truck is on the way,´ Dykes said Laine told him. “ It will go out.”

Dykes said he dragged Laine from the burning room. “I told him I’m not going to let you burn alive,” Dykes said.



1 2 3 4 5
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top