A house fire Tuesday evening destroyed the front side of a home on Taney Street, behind Petersen Park in west Eugene.

Eugene Springfield Fire Battalion Chief Ben Meigs said that when firefighters arrived on the scene about 8 p.m., they noticed a gas leak near the front of the house and shut off the gas.

The fire spread to multiple rooms and caused smoke damage to the whole house, according to Meigs.

He said firefighters were able to contain the blaze within 13 minutes.

According to neighbors, the fire appeared to start on the front deck of the house.

Before fire crews arrived, Aaron Davis, who lives across the street, ran into the house from the back side to alert the residents inside, who he said were unaware of the fire.

Davis said that by the time all of the residents were safely outside, the front of the home was engulfed in flames. 

A cat belonging to one of the residents was found but died after attempts to resuscitate it.