Don't drink the water.

That's what state health officials are saying about Odell Lake.

The Oregon Health Authority issued a recreational use health advisory Friday after high levels of cyanobacteria and the toxins they produce were found in the mountain lake southeast of Willamette Pass along Highway 58.

Water monitoring detected the cyanotoxins at concentrations that can be harmful to humans and animals, the health authority said.

Cyanotoxins are produced by algae blooms. The same toxic algae has been a problem this year at Detroit Lake, a reservoir not only popular with recreationists but the source of Salem's drinking water. Since late May, the city repeatedly has issued tap water advisories warning young children and other vulnerable groups to drink bottled water.

At Odell Lake, health officials warned against drinking water directly from the lake. The toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or otherwise treating the water, they warned.

Ingesting water with cyanotoxins can cause an upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, possible liver and kidney damage, sickening or, in extreme cases, killing people and animals. Other symptoms of exposure include numbness, tingling, dizziness and — in people with skin sensitivities — a red, puffy rash.

The health authority also said:

• People who draw in-home water directly from Odell Lake should use an alternate water source.

• Recreationists should avoid swimming and high-speed water activities such as water skiing or power boating in areas where blooms are identified because of the risk of inhaling toxins.

• Pet owners should prevent their animals from drinking or entering the lake's water.

However, with proper caution, people still can enjoy activities at the Klamath County lake such as fishing, camping, hiking, picnicking and bird watching, the health authority said.

On Friday evening, a Deschutes National Forest spokeswoman said the state health advisory would be posted at all of its campgrounds and day-use areas around the lake. Water from taps at its Sunset Cove and Trapper Creek campgrounds is safe to drink, the spokeswoman, Cassidy Kern, said. A third campground, Princess Creek, does not have a water system.

John McDevitt, general manager at Odell Lake Lodge & Resort, said the property draws water from a well, which is tested regularly and safe to drink.

"We're full this weekend, but obviously some people are disappointed when they see the warnings," he said. "Some people ignore the signs and go in anyway."

Those who do brave not only possible exposure to the toxins but surface water temperatures of 67 to 70 degrees, McDevitt said.

"It's not freezing," he said, "but it's definitely chillier than most."

For those who prefer to play it safe, McDevitt said there's a nice beach at Crescent Lake just a three-mile drive from the lodge.

Kern, the Deschutes spokeswoman, said a follow-up sample will be taken once the algae bloom has cleared.

If the toxin levels have subsided, the health advisory will be lifted.

"I wouldn't expect it to last all summer," she said.