Seventy years ago, in 1947, the war was finally over although still fresh in people’s memories. Camp Gordon Johnston had been decommissioned and the Greatest Generation had headed home to settle down in post-war prosperity. There was plenty of news the first week in April and here it is.

Our Chasing Shadows question this week is: Does anyone have a picture of the shrimp boat Smiles?

If you do, we would like to see it. Please call the Times at 653-8868 or email Lois Swoboda at


Nine people taking treatment for bites from “Mad Dog”

B. G. Lastinger of County Health Department reported today that a “mad dog” (rabid dog) has been killed in Apalachicola, his head examined by the State Board of Health laboratory who reported it positive for rabies. This dog bit nine people and all are receiving treatment at County Health Department in Apalachicola.

Mr. Lastinger also stated that this mad dog also bit a number of other dogs in this community and warns that all dogs should be confined by their owners for at least 14 days and also recommended to the City Officials that all stray dogs without inoculation tags against rabies infection be impounded immediately or killed and in an advertisement appearing in this issue by Chief of Police George Counts Jr. states that after tomorrow, April 12 (Saturday) all stray dogs will be shot by the police department.

Mr. Lastinger also said that parents should keep their children away from all stray dogs or cats.

This action is recommended in order to prevent an outbreak of rabies in this section and every dog and cat owner and all citizens are urged to cooperate.


Explosion of patrol boat is mystery

The explosion of the State Patrol boat operated by Walter Yearty, Tuesday morning at 7:45 a.m. still remains a mystery.

Mr. Yearty explained that he had “gassed up” a short while earlier and had returned to his dock at the Taranto Seafood house, and allowed the motor to warm up for about ten minutes before heading out. When he reached the middle of the river his motor was not running up to par, so he shut it off for a few seconds and when he started up again the explosion occurred.

The impact of the explosion blew Mr. Yearty to the top of the cabin and for several minutes he was overcome from shock and burns.

Shortly afterward Cleve Hathcock pulled alongside and assisted in extinguishing the flames and it was said little repairs would be necessary to get the boat underway again.


Largest sturgeon on record caught Thursday in Apalachicola River

The largest sturgeon ever recorded was caught in the Apalachicola River Thursday morning by Sylvester Tarantino, who found that the monster weighed 251 pounds. The largest one on record, according to Outdoor Magazine weighed 225-pounds and was caught in Lake Huron in 1922.

It measured seven feet and five inches. Sylvester caught three other fish weighing on the average 50 pounds each. The large fish had a roe weighing 45-pounds, it was said.

Every part of the sturgeon is said to be a delicacy, with the roe being served as caviar, which sells for a very large price and the steaks bring a price of $1 per pound in New York.

Even the liver and meat from the heads of this fish is said to be delicious.

The huge fish, although securely surrounded by net, made a break for freedom several times and jumped high into the air, but was soon brought in exhausted.


V.F.W. News Apalachicola Post 8189

The Franklin County Memorial Post No. 8189 held an opening meeting Monday evening at the Daniels Bros. Oyster House in Eastpoint.

Richard (Dick) Heyser spoke to the body on the functions of his office and explained several interesting interpretations of the Federal laws pertaining to the serviceman’s readjustment act.

Four new members were received and the obligation will be given next Monday evening at the Apalachicola Community House at 8 o’clock.

James Daly, commander, stated that the VFW, chartered in 1899 by the US government, is formally recognized as an official Veteran’s organization in our United States communities.

A seafood dinner was enjoyed after the meeting.


New shrimp boat “Smiles” launched here

The shrimp boat “Smiles” which has been under construction here by the United Seafood Company since January 20, was christened by Mrs. C. W. Randolph as it slid slowly down the ways and wished the best of luck to her, for whom the boat was named.

The new shrimper, no. 18A705, is 45 feet long, has a 12-foot beam and a draft of three and one-half feet. It is built of the best cypress with pine decking and is powered by a 63 hp Diesel Caterpillar engine with 3-to-1 reduction gear, said to be tops in motors for boats of this kind.

The boat was built on the ways next to Randolph’s machine shop and finishing touches will be put on in the next two weeks.

Other boats owned by this company are used for snapper fishing, Oystering and shrimping.


Two places are robbed Saturday night

A thief or thieves broke into two places on Saturday night, resulting in the loss of approximately $400 in cash and checks and 30 gallons of lubricating oil and possibly other items.

The front door of the Red Star Marine station, operated by Phillip Schoelles and the rear door of the Apalachicola Fish and Oyster Company, operated by Mr. G. Bryant Patton were found open Sunday morning and reported to police by Wyatt Hall, local fisherman.

Those entering the places of business got from the service station approximately $2 in cash which was left in the register overnight, but got around $390 in cash and checks from the cash register of Mr. Patton’s place, including valuable papers, etc.

Sheriff Stanford Bragdon, Deputy Sheriff Wm. T. Henderson and J. E. Little, city official, were on the job investigating and it is probable that the guilty parties will be behind bars before this article is printed.

Several weeks ago the large storage box in the Patton place was broken into, but only three or four large mullet were taken at the time.


Englishman is visitor here

A visitor to Apalachicola last week was E. R. Flory of Barrow-On-Furness, Lancashire, England. He was the house guest of Mr. and Mrs. John C. Holloway.

Mr. Flory’s 71 years do not dim his active interest in everything American. Coming as he does straight from a country where two mutton chops a week or their equivalent constitute and individual’s meat ration; where two ounces of butter must last for seven days; where ice boxes in the home are never dreamed of (they have a “larder” in the yard where the cooler climate keeps food moderately well); where white bread is never seen these days and two loaves must last a week, Mr. Flory views with amazement the plenty in stores and on tables. He asks to have his plate served and he eats everything put upon it and never comes back for “seconds.” That would be heresy to his ration-trained mind. Only once has his hostess seen him violate this custom – and the tempting dish that conquered that habit was – rice and gravy!

A Veteran of World War I, Mr. Flory was three times “over the side” in Dardanelles campaign, his ship being shot out from under him on three occasions. More close to home perhaps, from interest standpoint, in his early years with the with the Royal Navy, Mr. Flory was a member of the crew of the British warship Talbot, which was a spectator for International Law at the Spanish American War engagement at San Diego and participated later at Bermuda’s celebration for the troops of the American fleet, following their victory.

Mr. Flory is visiting in this country at the home of his son, G. H. Flory in Jacksonville. His appreciation of the American way of life is acute and he stoutly says that had Churchill remain in power England’s way would not be the present hardship and tragedy that it is today. The Apalachicola way itself comes in for a large share of Mr. Flory’s approval. “I thought the Irish Sea was the most beautiful stretch of water in the world,” he said, “but your bay here is a bonny sight.”


News from Carrabelle

As reported by the Witherspoons


Mr. and Mrs. R. D. (Ras) Bradford arrived home from California this week for a short stay. Ras seems to be enjoying health and happiness but still has the longing to be back in Carrabelle among his buddies and his good mother.

We are glad to note that Mrs. Lorette Clower and daughter Virginia are back home and Virginia is now doing substitute teaching in the school.



The Witherspoon home is made happy over the weekends with arrival of children. Sadie and Jack spent the last one with us and Kathryn is expected in on Friday night this week.

Little Tommy Fiddler of Panama City arrived by bus on Wednesday of this week for a visit with grandmother and his parents will arrive Sunday.



Checking into the facts we find what was termed a nasty wreck happened on the 10th, about 3 p.m. in the area of Camp Gordon Johnston and eight miles out of Carrabelle. Two white men named Lyman Willard Higgs and Charles H. Michael of Lakeland and driving a 1941 Packard coupe, going east toward Tallahassee, lost control of the car by driver nodding.

The car struck a heavy truck loaded with a tractor and going in the same direction and belonging to Faulk and Coleman. After striking the truck, the car left the road and went 672 feet by actual measurement which indicated tremendous speed. When finally stopped the car was badly damaged and the occupants were seriously hurt, but it is now thought they will overcome their injuries but it will take a long time.

Patrolman W. E. Lee, assisted by Constable S. T. Chason rushed the men to St. Joe both bleeding profusely.