I am 55 years of age and seeking election as your Franklin County Sheriff. I am married to Leola Martin and my children attended Franklin County Schools.
I have been a Franklin County resident since 2001. While employed by the Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement I patrolled Tate’s Hell State Forest as a conservation and recreation lands officer where I have met many of our residents through the years.
I began my career with the State of Florida gaining experience as correctional officer with the Florida Department of Corrections in 1982 through 1985 in Raiford.
Since 1985, I have served as a state law enforcement officer with experience in supervision, wildlands fire and arson investigations (Florida Forestry Service), patrol and oversight duties in our natural wildlife areas, and assistance in disaster relief during and following hurricanes and other disasters. After service during Hurricane Andrew, I was awarded a Distinguished Service Award from Florida’s Governor and Cabinet.
I enlisted the in the Army National Guard, 153rd Engineer Company prior to graduation from high school, beginning my service early.
From 1985 to 2012 I was state law enforcement officer with Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement, and from 2012 to 2015, after it merged into the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, until my retirement.
Some of my training qualifications are listed below:
• Lake City Community College, also certification with Corrections and Police Standards and Training Commission
• Florida Public Safety Institute
• Florida Crime Information Center and National Crime Information Training
• Law Enforcement Supervisor
• Department Supervisory Training
• Narcotics Identification Training
• Principles of National Incident Management System
• Incident Command Systems
• Law Enforcement and the Baker Act Training
• Domestic Violence Training
• Advanced Sex Crimes Investigations
• Sexual Offender and Juvenile Offender Training
• Discriminatory Profiling and Professional Traffic Stops
• 33 years of service to our citizens
• Fair and Impartial Law Enforcement.
• Commitment to enforcing our drug laws and working with all partners at all levels to protect the health and safety of the public*
• Create a drug interdiction and task force to stop the flow of drugs through our county.
If elected I will be available and visible throughout our county, making our neighborhoods and communities a safer place. I will be a working sheriff. I will coordinate with our cities to assist with various enforcement issues when needed.
As sheriff, I will assign regular patrol deputies to patrol and work traffic and other calls without additional cost, to the residents Alligator Point and St. George Island.
I will support community policing and neighborhood watch programs, and maintain a relationship within the communities of each area of our county and keep informed of any information related to problems in each area.
I will be available to talk to you about any concerns or problems you may have. I will pursue diversity and equality within the Sheriff’s Office and establishes a merit-based structure within the Sheriff’s Office, allowing dedicated and qualified employees promotional opportunities.
As your sheriff, I will direct the Sheriff’s Office in serving Franklin County with integrity, honor, order and fairness. I am asking for your supporting vote.