Our Chasing Shadows question this week: Does anybody have a picture of Lillian Sangaree?

If you have can help or a good idea for Chasing Shadows, call Lois Swoboda at 653-1819, or email her at lswoboda@starfl.com.

Ban on soaked oysters

The department of agriculture is after oyster shippers who have been engaging in the practice of soaking oysters to increase the size of the bivalves. Opposing the department’s order some of the dealers have asked federal officials: “How can you wash an oyster without swelling it to and extent that constitutes adulteration?”

The counter thrust of the dealers was futile. The agricultural department ignored the remark, except to advise the dealers they should know without being told just how much water to use on an oyster.

The dealers do know the proper amount of water they should use, but they do not wish it to appear to the department that they know.

However, it is up to the oyster shippers to obey the mandate of the department.

If they do not, some of them may get legal instruction in oyster soaking and legal instruction is very instructive.


Pardon Denied

The pardon Board in session a few days ago at Tallahassee took up the question of pardon or commutation of sentence imposed upon Messrs. Silvey, Latson et al, convicted in Franklin County of a violation of the prohibition law. The pardon board refused to interfere with the sentence. Appeal in those cases has been made to the Appellate Court, Judge Love presiding, and he will pass upon the cases during the October term of the Circuit Court which meets in Apalachicola shortly.

On Judge Love’s decision will rest the carrying out of the findings of the County Judge’s Court of Franklin County.


Mr. Derf on Pike’s Peak

A Dizzy and Frightful experience – Came near freezing


Friend Sam N. Johnson:

Before leaving Colorado Springs I got up a party of eleven guests at the hotel and secured the services of a shofer (phonetic) with his twelve seated touring car, for which we paid $55 or $5 each to take us to the summit of Pike’s Peak, distance 31 ½ miles. Round trip 63 miles (money well spent). But after I was half way up I would have given $10 to be back on terra firms. It was the most dizzy, frightful experience I ever had or wish to have again.

We stopped at a lunch counter about one third of the way up and I certainly enjoyed standing before a log fire during the short stop. Outside of the cabin were drifts of snow which supplied my thirst for water as I preferred it. On the top of the peak snow was from one to four feet deep, clean and as white as there is nothing but rocks, no dust. The Boss of the hotel where I was stopping loaned me his overcoat for the ascension but I had to use a robe in connection to keep from freezing. In fact I was never so cold in my lifetime. The altitude is 14,109 feet. While on top I got so deaf that I could hardly hear myself talk and it lasted me a day and a night before it wore off. There are grand sights to be seen there. I will take in the great salt lake this afternoon. Fourteen miles distance. The lake is 20 percent salt. You will note that I am having a h—l of a time trying to write with this hotel pen. This is more than I have written to any one since I left home as time is far too precious for sight-seeing to write. So far I have mailed over fifty picture cards at each stop to my friends. You can show this to the judge and the enclosed cards. I know the cards will cause him to smile a smile.

Off tomorrow for Frisco.


F. G. Wilhelm


Robert Meeks kills himself with a razor

Saturday afternoon of last week a young white man, age about 24 years, named Robert Meeks and hailing from Lake City, Fla., it is claimed killed himself by cutting his throat with a razor held in his left hand.

He was found lying on his left side, the razor firmly gripped in his left hand. His throat was cut extending to and severing the windpipe. He was breathing when found, but in a few minutes, life was extinct.

Sheriff Gibson was notified of the occurrence and he notified coroner Quinn and summoned a jury of inquest repairing to the scene: a small house in the tenderloin where the deceased and a woman who signed herself Lula Meeks have resided several weeks past.

The jury of inquest was composed of the following persons: T. J. Murphy, J. P. Anthony, J. L. Hunt, H. I. Flowers, George Tiner and J.S. Stovall.

The woman, Lula Meeks, as she called herself, told the jury that Meeks threatening to kill her then himself, attempted to put the threat into execution by attacking her with a razor. She avoided him and escaped from the house, running to Mr. W. B. Dickson’s store. Arriving at the store, she informed Mr. Dickson and his employees that Meeks had chased her with the intention of killing her. She begged the men to take the razor away from Meeks.

When the men arrived on the scene they found Meeks lying on his left side in a pool of blood. He was alive. Dr. Ferris was summoned to the scene but Meeks was so badly injured that medical skill could not save him.

The coroner’s jury made an investigation and all the testimony they could secure showed that it was a case of deliberate suicide.

The following is a copy of a note found on Meeks’ body: Dear Baby – You have made me do what I have done. You have wrecked my life and ruint my name. You have throwed me down like I found you. Unable to help myself, I haven’t a friend and don’t need one now. I can hope and pray to God Almighty that I may be at rest and that my sins will be forgiven; that I may rest where my dear old mother is resting. You have gone to leave me to die by myself. I wish no one could find me. Take what I have. I want you to remember me that you may say that there has been one that has been a friend in need. I am dying for the love of you. I love but you. You have throwed me down for another because I am not able to do for you as I once have done. God be with you until we meet again. The one that loves you dearly is me. I don’t want you ever to think of me but think of the other one you love.”

The above was not signed.

Among the personal effects of Meeks was a note signed by the woman Lulu and addressed to Meeks at Lake City. The note was dated Apalachicola in 1906. It is stated however, that the woman lived in Apalachicola in 1906 and left there several years ago.

Young Meeks, according to the police, came to Apalachicola probably two months ago and put up with the woman Lula, living with her until the time of his death.

As far as can be learned, he was not employed in the city or elsewhere. The telegram sent to Lake City chief Murphy and addressed to the Chief of Police of Lake City brought the information that Meeks had no relatives in that city. It is known, however, that his widowed mother died there in February of this year. If he had living relatives they could not be located. The woman Lula appears to be 30 or 35 years of age.


To Lillian Sangaree

At dawn three fairies culled a flower;

They took its color, gay,

And with the blossoms of their bower

They toiled one summer day;

A rare red rose it was, whose power

Within its fragrance lay.


Its magic color made the tint

Of Lillian’s cool lips

And for her hair they gave a hint of dusky pansy tips;

For tawny eyes they stole a glint

Of an aster as it drips

With dew at morn; and for her fair

White cheek magnolia bloom.

The fairies took and there

They added, none too soon,

A touch of carmine, rare

And warm as day in June.

To tint her ears they scraped the sea

For faintest, pinkest shell;

And searched the ocean tirelessly

For pearly teeth as well.

Their work complete the fairies, three,

Returned then to their dell.


Sweet Lillian, the fairies’ task

They never could repeat.

Command them to return and ask

My rivals to defeat;

Or let me in thy favor bask,

And life will be complete!